top of page
ARB Inspections

Owner Guidance and Documents​​


The Declaration, Guidelines, Resolution for Due Process, and Resolution for Lawn and Yard Maintenance Standards (collectively herein referred to as “Governing Documents”) can be found here. For applications regarding exterior modifications to your home, basketball hoops, and commercial vehicles, click here.


We also wanted to answer a few FAQs that homeowners may have regarding inspections and exterior modifications.


Why is my lot inspected?

Inspections are performed to make certain that all is being done to ensure that Greenfield Crossing property values remain high.  It’s also our opportunity to check that we are all in agreement about the condition of your property and that as a homeowner, you fully understand your maintenance obligations under the Article 9 (Restrictive Covenants) of the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CCR) and the approved Architectural Review Board (ARB) Guidelines.

What is being checked?

The property is being reviewed for violations which includes, but is not limited to, the appearance, cleanliness, and overall condition of the property; as well as any exterior modifications. A violation is issued when the homeowner has failed to follow the Article 9 (Restrictive Covenants) of the CCRs or the approved ARB Guidelines.

​When is my lot inspected?


On a monthly basis during the growing season.  The exact date of the inspection will be based on the availability of committee members as well as weather permitting but the goal is the second week in May through October.  The rest of the year inspections will be intermittent.

What if I'm temporarily unable to maintain my yard?​

If you're out of town, deployed, or simply need help maintaining your yard; the ARB has set up a "phone a friend" program to help you with your needs free of cost!  To get started, please email the ARB at

I received a violation, now what?

Please send a picture of the corrected violation (e.g. lawn mowed, fence repaired, flower beds weeded) to the ARB via Cardinal Management Group at the contact information provided on the violation notice.


Why can’t I do whatever I want with my own home?

You made the decision to purchase your home because of its interior and exterior appearance as well as the neighborhood’s appeal. Anytime you modify the exterior of your home, it not only affects you but also your neighbors. That’s because, they too bought their home for the same reasons. When you modify the exterior of your home for your own benefit, there may be unintended consequences affecting your neighbors that must be considered such as water drainage, site lines, aesthetics, etc. all of which affect property values.


It’s such a small change nobody will notice. If they do, who cares?

The Association is required by law to regulate the external design and appearance of our neighborhood. This includes the external design, appearance, and location of any improvements on a homeowner’s property in order to preserve and enhance property values and to maintain harmonious relationships among structures and the surrounding land. You may consider the change to be “small”, but all those small changes begin to add up and over time will eventually alter the harmony we all enjoy.


It’s not prohibited by the Governing Documents, so it’ll automatically be approved.

There are some modifications that by law cannot be denied, such as solar panel systems or satellite dishes, though an application is still required. However, for other modifications, just because it’s not prohibited, does not mean it will be approved. Per our Governing Documents, the Association is still required “to maintain harmonious relationships among structures”.


Why am I getting a violation notice after so much time; can’t it just be ignored?

If the Association has been notified of a potential violation by a resident, the Association is bound to enforce the Governing Documents. Except as disallowed by law, our Governing Documents requires the Association to enforce all architectural violations, and the Association cannot ignore an architectural violation no matter how much time has passed. Failing to enforce the Governing Documents, can open the Association to further litigation, commonly referred to as “selective enforcement”.


I already made an exterior change without an application, now what?

Unfortunately, any exterior improvement, addition, change, or alteration made without an application to, and approval of, the ARB shall be deemed to be in violation of the Governing Documents and may be required to be restored to its original condition at the Owner's sole cost and expense. As you can imagine this is not a pleasant experience; although the ARB will accept applications retroactively, there is no guarantee of approval.


My ARB application was approved, but I still received a violation notice.

It is your responsibility as a homeowner to ensure that all requirements of the Governing Documents have been satisfied. Any approval is subject to your agreement to follow the requirements outlined in the Governing Documents, and any deviation from the approved application may require the modification to be restored to its original condition at the Owner’s sole cost and expense.


I’m confused, what needs an application and what doesn’t need an application?

We understand that the process can be confusing, and the Board is currently working on simplifying that process. In general, any exact (or substantially similar) replacement of K. Hovnanian’s original colors, textures, and materials is allowable without an application. If you have questions regarding the actual item brand, please call K. Hovnanian’s Homeowner Service @ 877-832-6231. Any other exterior improvement, addition, change, or alteration requires an application. This includes basketball goals, landscaping, and even yard signs. When in doubt, it is always better to submit an application.


What if my modification takes longer than expected?

We realize during the COVID-19 situation many owners do not want contractors to enter their home or sometimes to even work on their home. We also realize that during these times, many home improvement contractors are overbooked and may take longer to finish projects than normally slated. Please feel free to reach out to the Board of Directors or CMG for issues and concerns related to any potential timeline, and we will work with you.

How do I turn in an application?

Per our Governing Documents, applications received by email cannot be accepted. Please submit all requested items for the consideration of your application by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, to the ARB in the care of the Association’s management firm:

Greenfield Crossing Homeowners Association
c/o Cardinal Management Group, Inc.
4330 Prince William Pkwy, Suite 201
Woodbridge, VA 22192

Please allow 45 days to process your application. Failure to provide all the requested items shall result and in delay or denial of your application. If you have questions, please contact the Board of Directors via CMG, attend the next Board meeting, or
contacting the Board via the HOA Message Board. If you have not done so, please sign up here.

bottom of page